My grocery list:
Meat and Seafood
- Skinless chicken or turkey
- Ground turkey or chicken or beef
- Beef (look for lean cuts)
- your favorite seafood (I like tuna in the pouch)
- Reduced-sodium lunch-meat
Oils, Sauces, Salad Dressings, and Condiments
- Tomato sauce
- Barbecue sauce
- Red-wine vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, nonfat cooking spray
- Hot pepper sauce
- Light mayonnaise
- Low sugar ketchup
Cereals and Breakfast Foods
- Whole-grain or multigrain cereals
- Steel-cut or instant oatmeal
- Whole-grain cereal bars
I buy cereals and cereal bars that are high in fiber and low in sugar. I use berries, dried fruit, or nuts to add sweetness to my cereal. I also add a scoop of protein powder to my oatmeal often.
Soups and Canned Goods
- Low-sodium soups and broths
- Beans (I eat a lot of beans)
Look for lower-sodium varieties.
I make sure the canned fruit is packed in juice rather than syrup.
- Frozen vegetables:
- Frozen fruit: (without added sugar)
- Pre-portioned, low-fat ice cream or frozen yogurt (I love the Halo ice cream)
Dairy, Cheese, and Eggs
- Skim or low-fat milk or soymilk
- Fat-free or low-fat greek yogurt
- Fat-free or low-fat cottage cheese
- Low-fat cheese or string cheese snacks
- Eggs or egg substitutes
- Fresh Fruit: Buying in season and buying locally grown fruit and vegetables can save you money and they taste better.
- Vegetables: I eat a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables to get the most nutrients, and I often buy pre-cut fruits and veggies.
Bakery and Bread
- Whole wheat bread, pita pockets, and English muffins
- Whole-grain flour tortillas
I don’t eat a lot of bread, but when I do look for whole-grain breads that contain at least 3 to 4 grams of fiber, have “whole wheat” or “whole wheat flour” as the first ingredient on the label.
- Whole-grain crackers
- Dried fruit: apricots, figs, prunes, raisins, cranberries
- Nuts: almonds, cashews, walnuts, peanuts, pecans, pistachios (roasted and unsalted)
- Peanut butter, almond, or soy butter
- Dark chocolate
Join me on Facebook for daily inspiration.
This page contains affiliate links
Before starting any new diet and exercise program please check with your doctor.